Hi, How Can We Help You?

Family Sponsorship Immigration For Spouse or Common-Law

Family Sponsorship Immigration For Spouse or Common-Law

Canadian citizens or permanent residents who meet certain conditions can sponsor their spouse, common-law or conjugal partner to become permanent residents of Canada.

Sponsors must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
    • Canadian citizens living outside Canada must show they plan to live in Canada when the sponsored person(s) become permanent residents.
    • Permanent residents living outside Canada cannot be sponsors.
  • Be able to prove they are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability.
  • Be able to provide for the basic needs of those being sponsored.

To sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, the sponsor must be financially responsible for the sponsored person(s) for at least 3 years from when they become permanent residents.

This includes providing financial support and repaying any social assistance received by the sponsored person(s) in that time.

The sponsor and the sponsored person(s) must also undertake a sponsorship agreement meaning:

  • The sponsor will provide for the basic need of the sponsored person(s).
  • The sponsored person(s) will try to support themselves and any family members.

Income Requirement

  • Generally, there is no income requirement to sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner. If you’re eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner, or dependent children, you must ensure to support them financially, ensuring they don’t need social assistance from the government
  • Only scenario where sponsor is required to meet income requirements is if sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.